Immigration/ Divorce/ Visas and Paternity Actions
Divorce is complicated enough — but it becomes even more complicated when the end of your marriage could affect your immigration status.
Divorce and paternity actions involving international partners can also present the risk of child abduction.
I have handled three divorce cases involving a high risk of international child abduction, to India, China and the Ukraine respectively.
Where there are children and there is to be a divorce between a US citizen and an alien, your lawyer needs to be familiar with the problems, risks and issues that you face.
I am familiar with:
- The repercussions of divorce when one or more of the spouses is not a US citizen.
- The risk that a child will be abducted by the parent cannot legally remain in the US.
- Strategies in negotiating parenting plans.
- Visa and deportation questions.
- Child passport rules and applicable immigration law.
- The Hague Convention.
- The situation if a child is born in the US our of wedlock and one of the parents is not a US citizen.